ACTION: Tell your senators the U.S. must take the lead on global climate change!
Call your U.S. senators today! Urge them to support Senate Resolution 30 (S.Res 30)!
What is S.Res 30?
Senators Joseph Biden (D-DE) and Richard Lugar (R-IN) have introduced S.Res 30, a resolution that would put the Senate on record urging the
to work with other countries to establish effective international climate commitments. The resolution made it out of Committee on March 29th, and is expected to come before the full Senate for a vote THIS WEEK. We need your help to make sure it passes!
Why is it important?
There is still time to prevent the devastating effects of climate change, but only if we act now and act internationally. As the world’s biggest emitter of greenhouse gases, the U.S. is in a unique position to take the lead in solving this global challenge. Without U.S. participation, international efforts to combat climate change won't work. In fact, many of the world’s key leaders probably won’t even come to the negotiating table without the United States there. Right now, the U.S. Senate's record of opposition to international climate agreements is an obstacle to effective international action. Help us get this obstacle out of the way so we can get down to the real work of fighting climate change!
Tell me how to take action
- Get contact info for your senators. The easiest way to find a number for your senators is to visit the U.S. Senate's website and enter your home state.
- Review the script below...or think up your own talking points. Just be sure you are prepared before dialing your senator's digits, even if that means reading your script word-for-word.
- Pick up the phone and give your senator's office a ring!
YOU CAN USE THIS SCRIPT WHEN CALLING YOUR SENATOR'S OFFICE:
YOU: Hello, my name is (name) and I live in (hometown). I’m calling because I want the Senator to support S.Res.30, the Biden-Lugar resolution calling for U.S. participation in binding international climate agreements. Do you know whether the Senator plans to support this resolution?
If you are put into voicemail, you can leave this message:
ASSISTANT: [He/She will either state the senator’s position or volunteer to pass along your views.]
YOU: Thanks. Please let the Senator know I’ll be keeping track of his stance on this issue.
Hello, my name is (name) and I live in (hometown). My phone number is (number). I’m calling because I want the Senator to support S.Res.30, the Biden- Lugar resolution calling for U.S. participation in binding international climate agreements. Please voice my concern to the Senator and let him know I will be keeping track of his stance on this issue. Thank you.
Additional talking points:
- To stop global warming, the U.S. needs to participate in international climate agreements.
- This is a critical time in climate negotiations, and the U.S. needs to get back in the game.
- The Senate’s record of opposition to such agreements is an obstacle to solving one of the greatest challenges of our time.
- By reversing that opposition, the Biden-Lugar resolution puts the U.S. on the right track to fighting climate change.
+ Learn more about the issue